Nikita Koshkin, Guitarist & Composer: in Concert featuring Frank Koonce concert video 64 min. $19.95
The guitars used are by Thomas Humphrey, New York.
Filmed live at Texas Tech University's Hemmle Recital Hall on
Thursday, January 27, 2000, this video reveals the full spectrum of
Nikita Koshkin's composition and performance skills. Born in
Moscow in 1956, Koshkin developed dual passions for composing
and playing the guitar at the age of 14 when his grandfather gave
him a guitar and a Segovia recording. Since then, his life's ambition
has been twofold: to expand the traditional vocabulary of effects on
the guitar and to incorporate them into fresh musical expressions.
His programmatic explorations of the guitar are now performed by
leading concert artists worldwide.
Frank Koonce is internationally acclaimed as a performer, teacher,
and writer. He has produced an authoritative guitar edition of
Bach's solo lute works and the world-premier recording in English
of Mario Castelnuovo-Tedesco's Platero and I for narrator and
guitar. He has directed the guitar program at Arizona State
University since 1978 and has served on the Advisory Board of the
Guitar Foundation of America since 1988.
Running time: 64-minutes.
The selections are:
- The Elves: Suite for Solo Guitar / (Gavotta, Valse, March, Melody & Galop)
- The Ballads: Suite for Solo Guitar / (Allegretto, Moderato Con Moto, Adagio Molto, & Moderato Vivo)
Nikita Koshkin & Frank Koonce
- The Returning of the Winds: Suite for Two Guitars / (Moderato Con Moto, Allegro Assai, Andantino & Allegro Ritmicamente)
- Three pieces for Two Guitars (Marionette-Marciale, Elegy-Andantino & They Are Approaching-Allegretto)
- The Cambridge Suite: (Lullaby, Tennis-Waltz, Ragtime, Ballad & Humoresque